Sunday, September 9, 2012

Father, Teacher And A Guardian Angel

(www.larissaphotography.com)
It was my father's birthday on Teacher's Day and he proved in more ways than one that he really is my guardian angel. I remember I had my doubts about him being around me, almost a year ago. I would never get signs from him about his presence, which was very disappointing frankly. But I kept my faith in him, and ever since December last year, I've been getting signs more often :)

As I thought about celebrating his birthday by doing some charity and was unable to, I was a bit upset. Nevertheless, I decided to listen to his favourite songs that day in office and a rush of memories came back to me. Well yes, it doesn't take a minute for them to come...

Then there was a point where I got so involved in his memories that I was actually confused about his absence. I couldn't believe for a fraction of a second that he is not with us physically. And I started to wonder how would things be if he was here. Would we move to Bangalore? Would he be proud of the fact that I am a writer, following his footsteps?

I started imagining how he would react to important decisions like marriage. And I couldn't take that thought further, which made me feel guilty. How could I not know how my father would react to this? Is this all I've known about my father? I paused for a few seconds and thought really hard over it, only to be left with a smile on my face. How would he react? He would be as normal as he was during all his years! :) I'd love to know how he thought about getting his daughters married. It's easy for me to imagine him smiling at the whole idea, the whole ceremony. That smile which reaches his eyes so easily that you're lost in his sparkling eyes...

May be that's what gets us going, his smile, his attitude, his faith in life. In us. That is what makes his birthday all the more special - a father, a teacher who has taught us so many things in life subtly. And that's why, me and my sister are daddy's girls in every way :)

2 comments:

Anupama said...

Loved it....and needed it too!

Nirupama said...

Thanks Di! Sisters after all, may be we needed it together :)